Venture Capital Operations Trainee at Inventures - full time, minimum 1.5 years
InventuresMunich3 days ago
You want to start a career in Venture Capital and get first-hand experience on the job? Then this could be your opportunity. During the course of your operations traineeship at Inventures you’ll learn what is needed to establish and manage a VC fund with an international portfolio. From closing investments in the most exciting start-ups, to communicating with investors, you will be involved in every day operations from the beginning.
Inventures.vc is a highly active and recognised pre-seed fund, headquartered in Munich, but investing globally. Established by Australian entrepreneur and angel investor Chris Hitchen, the Inventures team also includes entrepreneur and angel investor Simon Leicht (Venture Stars, Rocket Internet) and Thyra Seitz, a lawyer-turned-entrepreneur. Our own investor base is made up of many top entrepreneurs, providing support to the companies we invest in. We strive to back extraordinary founders building frontier technology to positively impact society and believe that technology can be used as a force for positive change in our world. We consider it a privilege to support mission-driven founders working on a diverse range of topics, from software to synthetic biology and beyond.
The operations traineeship - responsibility from day one
There’s no better entrée into VC than the engine room. Operations in VC is managing the intersection between the startups we back and our own investors and as such, requires both a generalist view of the various everyday challenges, as well as an eye for detail in execution. As a trainee, you’ll be fully involved in the business from day one and be expected to quickly work independently, managing your own projects.
For a period of at least 18 months, you will go through a specific training program to become familiar with all sides of a successful VC business, while actively participating in and influencing day-to-day decisions:
- To begin, you will work in operations, where you will be involved in all tasks necessary for running a successful VC fund, including:
- Closing new investments, e.g. checking, summarising and drafting legal documents for financing rounds;
- Investor relations, e.g. investor on-boarding, updates and reporting;
- Portfolio management, e.g. filing and reconciling investment documents, maintaining our reporting tool and data and preparing reportings;
- Identifying opportunities to constantly improve our business routines, e.g. automating processes or implementing new software tools;
- Assisting with bookkeeping and fund reporting, including working with external service providers
- Moving into the investment team you will learn the skills of our core investing business, including
- Learn what we look for in exceptional founders and teams;
- Understand how financing rounds work and what is critical from a commercial and legal perspective;
- Be a part of the end-to-end process, from first contact to a decision to invest and supporting post-investment;
- Look for new investment opportunities, including market analysis, networking and keeping an eye on emerging tech trends
We are a small team, managing a complex set up. Therefore a strong, hands-on work ethic, the ability to work as part of a team, a strong interest in what drives organisations and a genuine passion for supporting innovative start-ups are most important to us.
An outstanding applicant will:
- have a degree, ideally in business administration, finance, economics, law, business law or comparable subjects, though your commercial sense is probably even more important than your degree
- be a generalist with strong analytical skills, with an eye for detail and accuracy
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills in German and English
- have a basic understanding of legal documents and contracts
- be experienced with work tools like GSuite, Asana, Slack, Notion, Dropbox, Excel, Docusign etc. Knowledge of additional software tools and/or efficiency “hacks” would be a significant advantage
- be able to multi-task, is reliable and can prioritise efficiently
What we offer
At Inventures you will work in an international team, close to some of the most interesting tech. start-ups in the world and experience a steep learning curve across the full value chain within VC. After your traineeship with Inventures you will be ready to work in various roles within a VC fund, from investor relations, to fund operations and the investment team. Additionally you will benefit from:
- competitive remuneration
- brand new Apple (or other) gear incl. a mobile phone etc.
- training and coaching from experienced VC managers
- Interaction with highly successful investors and founders across our portfolio and network
- flexible working environment (e.g. diverse hours and home office when applicable)
- a dynamic, modern office environment located in central Munich
- an international, intellectually curious, collaborative and values-driven team
- a transparent and respectful work environment
We are an equal opportunity employer and will consider applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
If you are interested in working with us, get in touch with Thyra: email@example.com