Salary; £50,000 - £60,000
Remote 1st, with options for hot desks near to where you live
We will provide external mentoring for anyone moving into this leadership role.
There are no specific qualifications listed for this role. We are more interested in your experience and attitude than where you learned your skills.
If you're interested in the role please apply here by 9am GMT 16th May 2022.
Who we are
We are a B Corp that designs inclusive products, services and brands for people working for positive change. Our clients are almost all charities, universities or social enterprises.
As a certified B Corp, we are legally bound to consider people, planet and profit when making decisions. Our impact report is a deep dive into the impact that those decisions are having on the world around us.
We’re a small but effective team that collaborates constantly. We can handle complex briefs, because all our people operate at a high level, whilst being expert in the best practices that produce great creative work.
You can see more about us all here - https://www.williamjoseph.co.uk/about
Who we’re looking for
We’re steadily growing our team and eager to bring new voices and perspectives on board. As more and more of our work is being delivered through digital, we need technical expertise to be a bigger part of the team.
We hope to find someone who is passionate about communicating with people who don’t share their technical expertise, to create solutions that meet a wide range of needs.
The purpose of the role
- Act as go-to person for technical perspectives on the best solutions for our clients
- Help decide how to deliver work taking into account the people, skills and capacity within the team (two in house developers and a small group of trusted freelancers)
- Work in partnership with Product Managers, Designers and Developers to deliver work against a technical, content and user experience solution
- Support the personal and professional development of other developers with coaching / mentorship, and collaborate more broadly to continuously improve the ways we work as a team
Things you might find yourself doing
- Devising a technical solution, following workshops with a wide range of clients, users and internal stakeholders
- Providing a technical perspective for a client project (sometimes with limited knowledge of the specific systems, users or technology involved)
- Explaining technical decisions to clients throughout a delivery process
- Working with product managers to break down projects into epics, and then into manageable backlogs of tasks
- Supporting and improving our deployment workflow including CI/CD configuration across multiple environments
- Reviewing other people’s code to promote constant improvement and collaboration
- Working out how to send information captured through a charity’s digital referral journey to their CRM and email systems with our team
- Designing hosting solutions that meet a clients’ specific concerns around security and performance
We want to hear from you if you
- Are excited about the opportunity to use digital tools and technologies, to create positive impact in the world
- Relish collaborating with a wide range of perspectives to find the right solutions to a problem
- Are comfortable with situations where you might be asked to provide answers and solutions before you have all of the information you'd ideally like
- Enjoy the challenge of switching contexts between different client problems, creating impact across a wide range of organisations
- Have a proficiency with programming fundamentals - particularly in the use of Craft CMS and Wordpress, PHP and front end frameworks
- Have experience (and opinions on) working in a highly efficient development team
- Have the ability to work to tight deadlines on your own or within the team
What our clients say about our work
“William Joseph are the first digital agency I’ve worked with that actually deliver what you need, give the right amount of challenge, and work in partnership with us as an extension of our team.”
“William Joseph have felt more like an extension of our team throughout the process; happy to challenge when needed but always pushing the project forward. We couldn’t be happier with the end result.”
What our team say about working here
“WJ is a very flexible, trusting environment where the emphasis is put on outcomes rather than hours worked in a day. Everyone is lovely and wants to do good work for good causes. We have lots of nice clients and there is room to carve your own path depending on what’s important to you.”
What other benefits you’ll get
- Paid for mentoring to develop your leadership skills
- Flexible working approach - choose working patterns that suit you
- Fully remote (with occasional visits to clients)
- Regular team activities to build relationships and take a break from work
- Generous maternity policy - 12 weeks at full pay and 27 weeks 25% pay
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies within our team
How to apply
We've developed an application process with Collaborative Future, which will ask you to share the following with us:
- Examples of two live websites or applications that you have worked on and are proud of. Sharing why you are proud of them and providing bullet-point list of some of the technology and approaches you applied in these builds
- An example of how your mentorship or leadership has helped others to grow
If you're interested in the role please apply here by 16th May 2022. If you have any issues accessing Typeform please get in touch.
Following your application shortlisted candidates will be invited to:
- Have a conversation about the role with James Gadsby Peet, Director of Digital
- Prepare two short tasks involving devising a topline technical solution for a client brief and reviewing someone else’s code (3-4 hours)
- Interview remotely with James, Laura and Mani from the William Joseph team (1 hour)
All shortlisted candidates will be paid £200 for completing these tasks and interviews.
If you would like to find out more then email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll set up a session to talk through the role.