Transition by Design Co-operative CICOxford13d ago
Role: Studio Manager
Contract: 1-year fixed term contract with the opportunity to extend
Part Time (0.6 FTE), with the potential for increase
Salary: £30,000 per annum pro-rata
Transition by Design is recruiting for a Studio Manager to help with the day-to-day running of our busy cooperative architecture and design practice. We’re looking for someone to take accountability for our operations and work alongside other members to run an efficient and effective studio. The new Studio Manger will be responsible for the day-to-day bookkeeping and financial management of the coop, for HR and people management, and for providing administrative support to the smooth acquisition and delivery of projects.
In addition to the core role, there are opportunities to play a part in engaging with our network by supporting the delivery of our communications and events, and in new business acquisition by supporting our bid writing and sales efforts. The Studio Manager will be based in our studio in North Oxford and will play a fundamental role in keeping a busy, mostly part-time team, spread across three cities connected and up to speed.
We need a friendly and proactive individual who feels excited by who we are and what we do. If you’re right for the role you’ll bring an adaptable approach, able to quickly pick up and improve the ecosystem of online tools we use to collaborate and communicate.
As part of the organisation, you’ll be co-responsible for managing the coop, including feeding into strategy work. We need someone who feels comfortable with this responsibility and excited by the chance to join a workers cooperative.
If you’re right for us you’ll be practiced at managing your own time effectively, and adept at effective prioritisation, delivering your own work to a high standard as well as feeding into broader co-operative activities.
As someone who will sit at the core of our team, you’ll be a good communicator, a strong project manager, and a steady and trusted anchor for the co-operative. Our culture is important to us and we’re looking for someone keen to play their part in the ongoing development of our cooperative work place.
We’re in a period of growth and this role, a first for us, will be instrumental in helping us streamline our processes in order to deliver more great work. We need someone who is excited by the idea of rising to this challenge and being the glue that holds it all together.
- Day to day management of the office including taking accountability for all operations and administration.
- Assisting with the monthly monitoring of project budgets, resourcing, and timesheet data to ensure the financial health of the coop.
- Assisting with the production of fee proposals, payment schedules, forecasts and accounts.
- Managing regular finance tasks including payroll, invoicing, and bookkeeping.
- Assist other members with diary management
- Coordinate the planning and delivery of regular meetings including weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings, our AGM, and our annual strategy days.
- Managing all incoming calls and emails
- Maintain and review subscriptions, bills and insurance.
- Update and maintain co-operative resources including our contacts database, template library, and presentation materials.
- Supporting the co-operative to meet deadlines by helping to manage suppliers or quality control of documents.
- Assisting in the management of HR processes including training, recruitment, our peer management system, and grievance procedures.
- Assisting in the management of regular external communications including our newsletter and social media channels.
- Supporting all co-operative members to ensure policies and procedures are up to date and in use, and to help us develop new policies where necessary.
- Supporting other co-operative members in new business acquisition including bid writing, engagement with procurement frameworks and responding to Invitations to Tender (ITTs).
Essential skills & experience
- We need someone who has a minimum of 5 years experience in a comparable role and has proven experience in management and holding accountability for areas of work.
- General IT proficiency is required though training will be given on specific platforms. We work across a number of web-based systems; Slack, Notion, Dropbox, G Suite and Xero
- Diligence & attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
Desired skills & experience
- Experience working within an architecture or design practice
- A healthy interest in or experience of social or environmental activism
- Experience in needs-based and/or non-violent communication, or a similar approached
- Experience working in or with a cooperative, or other purpose-driven business model.