Financial TimesLondon20d ago
About the group
We are a multi-disciplinary, co-located team. We value transparency, accountability, shared responsibility and teamwork. We’re focused on our users and the FT’s mission to provide engaging world-class journalism.
Most Engineers work across the entire stack, although many have expertise with particular technologies and domains, for example client-side, performance, accessibility, building APIs, security and integration. We deploy to production many times a day and have full ownership of releases, the tools we use and site reliability.
What you’ll work on
- Develop new features for FT.com and our mobile apps using modern web technologies
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Delivery Managers, and UX Designers, contributing ideas to help achieve our company-wide goals
- Maintain our high standards for web performance, security and accessibility
- Help improve the way we work and the tools we use
Here’s a list of things we use a lot. It’s not exhaustive, but gives you a taste of what our stack and tools look like:
- Node.js; Heroku; AWS Lambda, Kinesis, and DynamoDB
- Elasticsearch; Neo4j; Redis; GraphQL
- Handlebars; Sass; Webpack; Preact
- Fastly and VCL
- Github; CircleCI; Sentry
- Graphite; Grafana; Splunk
We don’t expect you to have worked with all of these, it will be a bonus for us if you have worked with some of them.
To find out more you can read about how we route traffic on FT.com and have a look at the code we make public on GitHub. You can also get an insight into how we work from our FT Product & Technology Medium publication.
Your core skill set and expertise is web development and you're enthusiastic about contributing to all parts of the process.
Our ideal candidate will bring a unique point of view to the work that we do. We firmly believe that diverse perspectives help us create a great product and enhance the team.
Characteristics we value
- Action-oriented and pragmatic
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Being collaborative
- Enjoy learning
- A love of the web, a passion for performance and commitment to accessibility
- An understanding of design and UX principles
- You don’t need to rely on a framework to get things done, and you prefer the tools that are good enough for your use case
Our hiring process
We understand that tech interviews are often stressful for no good reason, so we designed our interview process to be rigorous but friendly. We don’t do whiteboard coding or peer over your shoulder when you’re writing code.
We’re committed to equality and diversity in the tech industry, so we’ll be especially happy to see applications from under-represented backgrounds. We encourage this for example by considering part time roles and flexible working hours as well as tuning the hiring process to promoting diversity.
What it’s like to work for us
Customer Products has over thirty engineers working in small cross-functional teams with opportunities to rotate to other teams.
We ensure engineers have the tools they need. People are free to choose the OS and device type that suits them, and we encourage exploration of new tools and techniques. We support informal knowledge sharing alongside more formal training opportunities.
We have many great benefits. Some stand out ones are:
- Competitive salary and bonus scheme
- 25 days of leave, increasing to 30 after two years
- Pension plan, company doubling your contribution
- Other schemes include: flexidays, childcare vouchers, give as you earn, cycle to work, travel loans, healthcare, dental, life assurance, gym membership and local business discounts