Senior Software Engineer
Financial TimesLondon6M ago
The Financial Times are looking for a Senior Engineers to join our teams across the Internal Products programme.
We’re committed to equality and diversity in the tech industry, and want to encourage applications from underrepresented backgrounds. We consider part-time roles and flexible working hours to help support this.
The mission of the Internal Products team is to enable our peers (in tech and beyond) to do their best work. We do this in a variety of ways: finding a team the right tool for the job, helping them automate the most tedious parts of their work so they can invest in the valuable tasks they truly care about, discovering new ways in which to bring value to the business, and more. We are made up of the following feature teams in 2020: Incubate, Envoy, Digital Newsroom, Email Platform, Ads, DevX, CRM, CMS and People Tech. Head on over here to find out more on what it's like to work in Internal Products.
Here’s a list of things we use a lot. It’s not exhaustive, but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
- Elasticsearch; Neo4j; GraphQL
- Heroku; AWS: Mainly Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB
- Working with data science teams - data models, statistics
- GitHub; CircleCI; Sentry
- Graphite; Grafana, Splunk
We do not expect you to have worked with them all but if you have experience of some of these it will be a bonus.
Your core skill set and expertise is software engineering and you're enthusiastic about contributing to all parts of the process. We hope you will bring your unique point of view to the work that we do. We truly believe that diverse perspectives help us build great products and improve our teams.
You will have a good understanding what motivates engineers and the importance of diversity and inclusion. You will also value learning, teaching, and mentoring.
Characteristics we value
- Dedication to performance, accessibility, security and reliability
- Ability to understand a complex business problem and to build or lead a team to solve that problem
- Effective communication and collaboration
- Understanding when a task is done, and steering others to complete tasks or decisions
- Ability to decide appropriately when to buy or build, and to communicate the reasons to stakeholders
- A respect for all disciplines involved in an excellent product, and a commitment to improving customer experience
- Being collaborative
- Enjoy learning and teaching — whether that be pair programming, lightning talks, good documentation, leading workshops or mentoring more junior members of the team
- A love of the web, an interest performance and dedication to accessibility
- An understanding of design and UX principles
- An avoidance of frameworks, to get things done you prefer the tools that are right for the use case and frameworks only where necessary.
The hiring process
After CV review candidates moving to the next stage will have two interviews: one with the other Principal Engineers on the team, and one with the Technical Director, and two senior leaders from other disciplines.
External candidates will also do a coding test that we use with the aim of making it easy for you to demonstrate your strengths.
We understand that tech interviews are often stressful for no good reason, so we designed our interview process to be rigorous but friendly (we won’t expect you to reverse a binary tree on a whiteboard or peer over your shoulder when you’re writing code). We’re committed to furthering equality and diversity in the tech industry, so we’ll be especially happy to see applications from underrepresented backgrounds.
What we offer you
- Interesting tech where your input is valued in both product and technical choices.
- A good work / life balance and rewarding work environment
- Colleagues you can learn from and sharing with others what you’ve learnt
- A clear view on the reason why you’re working on something and how its success will be measured
We have many great FT benefits:
- Flexible working and part-time roles
- 25 days of leave, increasing to 30 after two years
- Generous parental leave
- Very competitive pension plan, company doubling your contribution up to 8%
- Others include: Flexidays, childcare vouchers, give as you earn, cycle to work, travel loans, healthcare, dental, life assurance, gym membership and local business discounts. Find out more about our benefits.
In FT Tech we develop products like FT.com, our award-winning website and one of the fastest news sites in the world. We are firm supporters of open source and develop more and more of our projects in the open every day. Some of our most widely used OSS are Polyfill.io and Origami.
We are a team of 250 engineers, but our teams are small, self-governing and multi-disciplined, empowered to choose our own tech stack and to continuously deploy our software, sometimes hundreds of times a day.
Our projects are widely varied in scale and scope -- you could be working on anything from an internal bot with a couple of hundred users, to a system with 4.2 billion requests per month -- using microservices, machine learning, and more.
Our ideal candidate will bring a unique point of view to the work we do. We don't hire for team fit, we hire for team betterment; diverse perspectives help us build a great product, and even better teams.