Senior Software Engineer
Urban Data ColletiveLondon Area, UKa month ago
Urban Data Collective delivers solutions to facilitate the sharing of real time urban data for a global community of data providers and data users. Our mission is to democratise access to urban data so organisations and communities can do great things with it.
Our Urban Data Exchange (UDX) platform enables providers of real time data to share their open or commercial data in an easy and trusted way, while at the same time enabling data users to find and access the real time data streams that they need at fair terms.
UDX will serve as a backbone of the urban data economy of tomorrow. It is expected to mediate access to millions of real time data sources and harmonise urban data from a wide range of APIs and handle commercial transactions for these.
We are backed by EIT Digital and the Digital Catapult and are working with partners such as the Greater London Authority, Ferrovial (Heathrow Airport), and a variety of high value urban data providers.
Based in the Greater London area with home office flexibility, this role offers an exciting opportunity to be part of a startup engineering team in its early days, creating a market defining SaaS platform for urban data sharing.
About the role
As software engineer, you will be responsible for delivering a highly reliable and resilient product backend for our global UDX SaaS offering, and championing high-quality engineering across the business. You will have direct input to ongoing technical design and strategy and as an early team member you will also have the opportunity to influence engineering practices and culture. In addition, you will be aware of the latest software development and technology trends and highlight those that could make the team more efficient and the product more competitive.
You will be fully hands-on with software development across our backend technologies, as well as CI/CD pipelines, devops engineering and managing infrastructure as code. We work with the following technologies in our stack:
- NodeJS for most of our API and application code
- Kafka for our data pipelines and asynchronous message streams
- Docker for containerising our microservices
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- Terraform with Terragrunt for all our infrastructure as code
You will work closely with other team members including frontend developers and the engineering lead, and will be able to clearly articulate technical concepts to a variety of different audiences including partners, clients and stakeholders. Good communication is really important to us and you should be comfortable Slacking, workshopping, presenting and sketching ideas to get your thoughts across. You will also be working with Agile collaboration tools such as Jira and Confluence and actively participate in Agile ceremonies.
As the company grows you will play a role in supporting the Engineering Lead to expand the team with the right hires, as well as onboarding new starts and mentoring junior developers.
This role provides ample opportunities for you to continually learn and develop your skill set as well as influencing the technical direction of a growing business.
At Urban Data Collective, you can make a real difference to our cities and communities by empowering others to innovate and make better decisions enabled by our products.
Required Skills & Experience
- Passion for problem solving and overcoming technical challenges on a daily basis.
- Optimism and a never give up attitude.
- At least 2 years commercial experience within a similar role. Prior startup experience is a bonus.
- Deep understanding of software architecting, databases (relational and other), APIs and object oriented programming.
- Extensive experience with collaborative development and CI/CD practices including Gitflow and Git Actions.
- Hands-on experience of several technologies in our stack including graphql, nodeJS, kafka and Docker.
- Experience with AWS, plus Terraform to manage cloud infrastructure as code.
- Experience with microservice architectures.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
Please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No recruiters please.