Senior iOS Engineer
Duration: 6 months contract
Job type: Part-time (3 days per week)
Salary: £60,000 - £70,000 pro rata
Language: Fluent in English
Time zone: GMT +/- 3 hours
Start Date: Immediately
Apple here: http://tiny.cc/tb-application
Time-consuming, extremely unsafe and a dreadful user experience; these are some of the words parents are using to describe the process of booking a personal tutor. We exist to change that and make personalised learning accessible to everyone. To realise this mission, we need to build a new kind of education company—one that puts design, technology and safety at the heart of every decision. That means taking the road less travelled, ignoring the traditional approach and working with people who think differently.
Tutorbloc empowers parents with the tools to instantly book and manage lessons with verified tutors. That's where we are today, but our long-term vision is to build a community-driven marketplace that facilitates on-demand learning and teaching. We hope to transform education and create meaningful experiences to influence the next generation. We are a bootstrapped company (with a product and early traction) based in London that has recently been funded by Innovate UK. Tutorbloc exists because we believe it's the most important work of our lives.
Now, this is where you come in
We are hiring for a Senior iOS Engineer to join our small but mighty founding team.
You will take ownership of turning ideas into reality, our mobile experience and setting the foundations of our engineering culture. Every piece of work you create, every decision you make and every problem you solve will be fundamental to scaling an exceptional consumer product. All underpinned by empathy for our community; that means your attention to the UX journey and UI design will be an essential component of your role. This is a unique opportunity for someone who wants to contribute to a company that is rooted in social impact and human connection.
- Great listener, communicator and collaborator.
- Have a strong view on code structure and modularisation.
- Confident with owning and driving the development of the product.
- Kind human being who defaults to transparency and are trustworthy.
- Have designed, built, and maintained production iOS applications.
- Value feedback as a growth mechanism and offers constructive criticism.
- Constantly learning about new trends and best practices in your industry.
- Takes pride in building high quality software and has a keen eye for detail.
- Solution-oriented, takes initiative and are proactive.
- Build and maintain the Tutorbloc iPhone and iPad app.
- Collaborate with our design team; reporting directly to the CTO.
- Write efficient, maintainable and reusable code supported with rigorous testing.
- Drive roadmap planning and provide time estimates for upcoming sprints.
- Work in a continuous, agile build and release cycle that's constantly improving.
- Enhance the existing code base and implement new features.
Technical knowledge is critical but we are treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more important. We are looking for people that thrive in uncertainty and want to figure out how to do things that have never been done before. You are a true team player and inherently positive.
Value you bring
- Proficient with Swift and Xcode
- 4+ years experience in native iOS development
- Proven experience working at a technology startup
- Strong understanding of Object-oriented Programming (OOP)
- Experience with iOS frameworks such as Core Data/Animation
- Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) and Unit Testing
- Understanding of Apple’s design principles and UX/UI guidelines
- Proficient understanding of Git and Gitflow Workflow
- Experience with Model–View–ViewModel (MVVM)
- Familiarity with RESTful services
- Worked with Mixpanel (business analytics)
- Familiar with Google Firebase (development platform)
- Online marketplace experience
Apple here: http://tiny.cc/tb-application
Please note: this contract is initially for 6 month but possible extension to be decided nearer the time. We pride ourselves on a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture so we encourage you to apply for this role even if you feel as though you might not qualify for everything we have listed.