Senior iOS Developer
Bloom & WildLondon16d ago
We're open to hearing from fully/partially remote or London-based candidates, as we work from everywhere within GMT +2 hours’.
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Core Apps & Retention at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 100 people. You’ll be part of Core Apps and Retention, one of our cross functional product areas consisting of squads who work on our award winning native iOS and Android apps, website and our back-end platform. The squads work closely with our Customer Retention team and our Data Science team to ensure that we are using technology to build a business that customers love and use regularly. We currently have close to 2.5m customers and driving profitable retention at scale is the business’s most important objective.
The squads focus on:
- Driving download, engagement and usage of our suite of native mobile apps across both iOS and Android. Our iOS app has been featured in the Top 25 apps of the year by Apple and as App of the Day, and is central to our loyalty and retention strategy
- Critical technology that helps build loyalty of customers and maximise their lifetime value. This includes key CRM and segmented marketing technology, personalisation and account, across key customer touchpoints on our website, app and in our backend platform
- Increasing our usage of personalisation across all platforms by working closely with our Data Science team to integrate machine learning models including a new recommendations engine
The role and ways of working
- You’ll play a leading part in delivering the product and technology roadmaps. This will mean writing, reviewing and supporting code in our iOS app, working with RESTful APIs including those provided by our bespoke Ruby on Rails based backend platform
- You’ll take ideas from requirements to production code and be responsible for quality at every step along the way, whether it’s testability, UX or architecture
- We have a majority Swift base app, are making good progress migrating to be 100% Swift and have a fully automated build process for testing & app submission
- As well as being a member of the Core App & Retention squad, you’ll also join our established Mobile Apps community and also work alongside Frontend, Backend and Data engineers & testers who make up our 28 person Technology team.
- The role will suit someone who is looking for a career opportunity in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight
- Are an experienced app developer (4 years+) with experience in Swift & Objective C
- Have strong knowledge of mobile architectural and design patterns
- Self-driven with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high-quality delivery
- Have collaborated with product designers, using their designs to create new screens that work across the range of iPhone modes, making good use of storyboards and xibs
- Are comfortable working within a small team of app developers, mentoring, using code reviews, pair programming and other techniques to improve the team as a whole
- Familiar with app CI/CD processes (we use Bitrise.io)
- Experience using Git and working with Apple’s app store connect for app updates
Nice to have
- Android development experience
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolley’, activities and opportunities to socialise
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it’s like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
The interview process consists of a thirty minute phone call with one of our Engineering Managers. If that goes well then we’ll send you an offline technical exercise in Swift. We don’t want you spending more than two hours on it (and we appreciate that you may have commitments that make doing the test impossible - if that’s the case then please let us know and we can discuss alternatives).
Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a series of remote interviews. During this time you’ll meet with some of the squad, talk with our VP Engineering Steve and one of our Product Managers.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.