CervestLondon and/or remote14d ago
We’re seeking a customer-focused frontend engineer to join our team at an exciting time for our business. You’ll be helping to grow our success as an AI-first platform, building user interfaces and visualisations to help our users understand risks to their assets from a changing climate.
From the outset you’ll be working closely with Product to understand user needs, contributing code to our React web application, suggesting ways to display complex data and iterating on our processes to make the team effective. You’ll also be passionate about sustainability and helping the world mitigate and adapt to the effects of the climate crisis. Reporting to Conan Cook, Cervest’s Head of Product Engineering, you will play a crucial role in taking the outputs of scientific climate models and making them useful to decision-makers.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company and our users.
We are a pro-diversity company and passionate about bringing together people of all backgrounds, because we know that a diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
What you’ll be doing – main responsibilities
- Implementing features with React components using Hooks and Redux where appropriate
- Implementing CSS from designs for a beautiful and intuitive UI
- Writing unit and user-agent tests
- Supporting the growth of team members, and your own
- Pairing, bouncing ideas and collaborating
- Working in an open, agile environment and helping to improve these processes
- Aligning with others on technical quality, standards, guidance and process
What you’ll be doing – secondary responsibilities
- Sharing knowledge about new technologies and approaches
- Learning about weather, climate and geospatial data and the use cases for them
- Working on our Continuous Integration infrastructure
Great if you have:
- Interest in / experience of Clojure, our back-end tech
- Experience of databases including Datomic, Postgres and Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of any Geographic Information Systems
- Skills in UX, visual or interaction design, information architecture
- Statistical methods and/or machine learning
- Working with Amazon Web Services
What’s in it for you:
Salary – £50K – 60K / annum (dependent on experience)
Opportunities to learn, grow and thrive with support from talented and empathetic team mates
This role will be mainly remote for at least the remainder of 2020 and potentially longer-term so we welcome applications from those who have the right to work in the UK.
Fuller list of benefits on our main careers page – we’re an early stage startup and currently reviewing our benefits in light of becoming a remote-first company. We are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
For a confidential, informal discussion on Cervest and the role, please feel free to contact Conan Cook at email@example.com or 07775692424. Alternatively please send your CV and a brief cover letter directly to Conan at the same email address. We do not respond to cold outreach from recruitment agencies.
The interview process for this role will be approximately 7-8 hours in total (which we accommodate as much as possible around your obligations), comprising four stages:
- An initial call with the team lead, Conan (30-60 minutes)
- Mostly non-technical interviews with members of the team and elsewhere in the business (2-3 hours)
- A technical test which you can do in your own time or as a pairing exercise, followed by a discussion of the test (2 hours)
- Final interviews with our CEO Iggy and one-two other members of the leadership team (1-2 hours)