About the Open Apparel Registry
The Open Apparel Registry (OAR) is a neutral, open source tool mapping garment facilities worldwide and allocating a unique ID to each. The tool is used by stakeholders across the apparel sector to eliminate confusion and facilitate collaboration, enabling interoperability across systems and tackling the long-standing industry problem of facility identification. We are built on the principles of "open": open data, open communications patterns, openness to ideas and new ways of working. We are a mission-driven organization and respect and value our stakeholders - they make the OAR what it is: a tool enabling collaboration across an entire sector.
The OAR is currently at an exciting period in its growth and development and is looking for a Product Manager to help shepherd our tool into its next stage. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to contribute to the future growth and vision for the tool and must be prepared to “get their hands dirty” with a wide variety of tasks. We are scaling quickly and will be hiring new team members throughout Q4 2021 and 2022.
The OAR's product manager will oversee and be accountable for the development of a new software product. This product is in the discovery stage and the product manager will have an opportunity to shape the creation of the system, which will greatly extend the OAR’s reach and impact. The Product Manager will be responsible for managing the product throughout its lifecycle, gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with the OAR’s development team to:
- Deliver a working prototype
- Ultimately refine and deliver a product ready for public launch which integrates existing technology and data.
The Product Manager will work with the OAR’s stakeholder management team to ensure users and stakeholders are at the center of its development and existing users are guided through the transition. The Product Manager will also be the relationship manager for several key technical partnerships and working groups. Joining a growing, global and vibrant team, this role presents the opportunity for an ambitious individual to shape and evolve the role beyond its initial scope.
This is a full-time, salaried, remote position within the US, that will include benefits including generous parental leave and an unlimited vacation policy. The OAR is a lean organization with a remote staff base. The team works closely with its technical providers on the East Coast of the US, Azavea, a B-Corporation.
OAR is committed to creating an inclusive and representative environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- Own the development of our new tool, helping to develop strategy and guiding the product to its successful public launch including the smooth integration of our existing tools and the new product
- Own the roadmap of active and future projects and maintain the backlog of features and priorities and work with our technical partner to ensure proper investment and on-time releases
- Write specs and planning documents and establish key milestones and delivery dates to keep internal and external teams on track
- Establish internal processes to develop and launch new features, then debrief and improve
- Understand and know our stakeholders’ usage cases and needs to deliver a product that works for all
- Lead discovery in conjunction with stakeholder managers to gather feedback and identify opportunities
- Manage key relationships with partners critical to prototype development and launch
- Identify market opportunities and associated technical development or integrations in collaboration with our technical partner, key stakeholders and strategic partners
- Collaborate with the stakeholder management team on materials and tools such as white papers, webinars, how-to videos, demos, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of the supply chain software and innovation space, open data, sustainability and ESG service providers, multi stakeholder initiatives and key civil society initiatives
- Communicate regularly with senior leadership on status, risks and roadmap
The Ideal Candidate
- Have 5+ years of relevant experience, with at least 3 years in a product management role. Preference for experience scaling a product
- Have experience defining a roadmap and managing successful product launches
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and proven problem solver
- Thrive in a dynamic environment. That means flexibility as well as dealing with ambiguity
- A systems thinker with experience working across organizations with multiple teams. Able to see the big picture to prioritize and manage barriers or issues
- 3+ years experience in global supply chain software, open data and/or open source projects, database infrastructure and/or related products and/or services
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, and focus on making data-driven decisions
- Excited about OAR’s mission, opportunities for growth and potential impact. Advocate for the power of open data
- Open to a pro-feedback, pro-fun, mission driven and global workplace culture
- Experience in a social enterprise, B-Corp or nonprofit is a plus
Benefits & Compensation
- This role has enormous growth potential alongside the launch of the prototype
- The team is open to flexible working patterns, encouraging team members to work in the most effective way that ensures that work gets done efficiently, i.e. we have a “no meeting Friday” policy
- Professional development stipend
- Unlimited vacation and generous parental leave
- Budgeted salary range of 65,000-90,000 USD, commensurate with experience (we benchmark salaries using national averages and try to stay close to ensure equity for our global team).
To apply for this position, please email resume and cover letter (maximum 2 pages for each) to email@example.com with the subject line “Product Manager Application”.
For more about the OAR:
- Learn more about the OAR here
- Watch our animation
- Read “From Opaque to Open: Untangling Apparel Supply Chains with Open Data”
The Open Apparel Registry
The Open Apparel Registry (OAR) is a neutral, open source tool mapping garment facilities worldwide and allocating a unique ID to each. The tool is used by stakeholders across the apparel sector to eliminate confusion and facilitate collaboration, enabling interoperability across systems and tackling the long-standing industry problem of facility identification. The power of the OAR’s approach lies in transforming messy, inconsistent data into structured datasets, made freely available to all stakeholders under an open data license. As well as many other efficiency and process benefits, the way that the OAR organizes and presents data ultimately improves the lives of some of the most vulnerable workers in global supply chains.
Learn more: https://info.openapparel.org/job-vacancies