ThreadLondon, United Kingdom10d ago
At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them—in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy High Street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online. We believe having an intelligent assistant in your pocket is how the majority of people will shop in the future, and we’re looking for a talented designer who wants to work at the intersection of design and AI to help bring this positive change to the world.
Design at Thread
We're a design-driven company and care about embedding design thinking to all parts of the company. We put a lot of time into ensuring we hire truly exceptional designers—not just people who can make pixels look pretty, but who think deeply about the underlying user needs and want to create something that actually solves their jobs-to-be-done. We’re after people who have great taste, are constantly trying to improve, like living on the cutting edge, and want to be part of a team that pushes them to be better. We are thoughtful about building a productive and creative environment in which designers can thrive—this is something our founders Kieran and Ben care deeply about.
We're looking for our second designer to join the team and immediately start working on our most important challenges. How do you blend humans and AI into a seamless experience? How do you build on a person’s existing wardrobe and style, but still challenge them to try new things? How do you make the experience of trying on items at home as effortless as possible? They’ll work as part of an autonomous, cross-functional sub-team, and play a large role in deciding what the group works on as well as helping to discover and deliver the experience. This role is only right for designers who want to step up and have real ownership over a complete, end-to-end experience.
We’re primarily focused on finding someone who’s world-class at product design, visual design and UI/interaction design. We don’t expect you to do front-end development or be world-class at graphics/illustrations—we’re not looking for unicorns—though you’re very welcome to do all of those if you enjoy it or want to learn.
We’re interested in talking to both senior and junior designers—we care most about talent and attitude—and will craft the perfect role for you based on your existing skills and how you’d like to develop.
This role will be initially be remote, but will eventually be based in our Aldgate office, which has lots of natural light, high ceilings, plants, a relaxed Studio area for coworking with music, and an outdoor terrace for barbecues and working outside when it’s sunny.
- Work directly with your team of engineers and PM, as well as regular interaction with our founders, in order to dream up and build new experiences for customers
- Be part of shaping and realising the long-term product vision
- Design beautiful, effective experiences for a wide variety of design challenges across mobile, web and brand
- Lead user research interviews, usability sessions and generative discovery work
- Help strengthen our design culture throughout the company—we have a broad, diverse team of creative people who are all interested in learning about design, and we want our design team to help instill a culture of design throughout the business
- You’ll be inventing something completely new for the world, that will help millions of people to feel happier and more confident about themselves
- You’ll become recognised as one of the leaders in your field through being a core designer for a high-profile startup
- Learn from some of the best product people in the industry by working directly with our exceptional team: Kieran O’Neill (CEO) has built two products that scaled to millions of users; Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science) worked on some of the hardest machine learning challenges at Bing; Tom May (Product Manager) led growth at Songkick and studied maths at Oxford; Alexandra Allcott (Head of Brand) helped build some of the world’s biggest brands at Wieden+Kennedy; Terry Betts (Head of Business Development) ran the £500m menswear business at Selfridges and co-founded Mr. Porter; etc.
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about what we’re trying to do in our culture deck.
- Informal, non-hierarchical, non-political, sociable work environment with lots of freedom and independence
- We’re looking for people who want to help shape of broader company and culture. We don’t want passengers.
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)