MousLondona month ago
👋 About You
We're not stopping at phone cases. We're continuing to diversify our product range at Mous, and we need the support of a Product Designer to help us!
In this role, you'll play a fundamental role in establishing the construction, look, feel and features of the new products within our Soft Goods category.
We've got a project with your name on it, so you'll need to hit the ground running and rapidly get to grips with our core product development processes. You'll be very "hands-on" in this role, and we'll look to you to flex your creative muscles to solve a wide range of design problems.
Working alongside our existing team of Industrial Designers and Design Engineers, you'll relish the chance to learn from others but will be eager to share your knowledge and passion for soft goods to ensure we produce the best outcomes for our loyal customers.
In this role, you will report to our Category Lead, Jenny Watling.
In a nutshell, this is what you'll own in the role:
- The design and development of multiple projects relating to soft goods, from conception through to production.
- The iteration of our existing products in the soft-goods category. You'll update and develop existing accessories for new generation devices using feedback from our Customer Experience team and NPS (Net Promoter Score) survey.
- Managing supplier relationships for your projects on a day-to-day basis.
This is what you'll get up to in your first three months with us:
- Develop a strong sense of what makes a Mous product, a Mous product.
- Contribute to the designs of concepts for our future product pipeline.
- Support prototyping, development in CAD (SolidWorks) and all associated tasks to the satisfaction of Project and Category Leads.
- Research into new product categories and trends, using your insights to make decisions within your category.
- Ensure that products in your category are aligned with brand guidelines.
- Strive for continuous improvement of our existing design processes.
- Work closely with suppliers to build and review pre-production samples.
- Build strong working relationships with our China-based Production team to ensure the release of a high-quality (minimal product failure rate & high yield production rate) product on time.
Sounds good? This is our forecast for six months to a year:
- Eagerly improve your ability to work with the Mous product development process to ensure the high quality of design is executed consistently.
- Actively pursue multiple avenues to achieve the product specification, working logically and consistently to make an inherently unpredictable activity, such as product design, as predictable as possible.
- Use your keen eye for design to research into new soft goods categories and product trends.
- Use your strong communication skills to update Project and Category Leads on the progress of projects and tasks and our Chinese manufacturers to ensure amendments and improvements to prototypes are completed on time and to spec.
- Use your solid analytical and presentation skills to effectively present key data and insights to our CEO and other relevant departments.
- Use your excellent time management abilities to prioritise daily tasks in accordance with overarching company goals.
You've read this far! Now here's what we need from you:
- Ideally, you'll have a degree in a relevant design-related discipline.
- Demonstrable experience in soft goods Product Design with a sound knowledge of product development through prototyping and testing.
- Experience in working the entire production process: from conceptualisation to manufacture, with multiple parts and assemblies.
- A broad understanding of different testing methodology with the ability to communicate product attributes using data.
- Strong working knowledge of stitched goods construction.
- Demonstrable evidence of managing and delivering design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget parameters.
- Experience evaluating concepts based on spec points.
- A knowledge of various materials from technical fabrics and textiles to plastics and metals.
- Proficient using Excel or Google Sheets with the ability to produce complex reports.
- Highly competent in Adobe Illustrator.
- Proficient in CAD Modelling, ideally using SolidWorks.
- A passion for soft goods and a willingness to learn about all aspects of soft goods production.
- Commercially aware and detail-oriented whilst striving for continuous improvement.
- An interest in spending time in China (when normality returns!)
- Use your passion and knowledge to openly voice new ideas and concepts for Mous's soft goods offering.
We're not asking for the world (we promise!), but here are some nice-to-haves:
- Experience working with Chinese suppliers.
- An understanding of pattern making and injection moulding.
- Strong Keyshot skills.
- Previous experience in Blender or any other soft goods specific CAD package.