Principal Java/Kotlin Engineer
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
We have a really exciting opportunity for an experienced Java/Kotlin Developer to join us and help in the ongoing development of our large-scale backend and it’s modernisation. This role will be focused on backend coding, database design, architecture design from top level to service level and will require your participation in the development process from design through to deployment and support.
Our current backend operation is huge, it serves around 70k rps across our datacenters and we have thousands of servers executing different roles. Several hundreds of those serve requests coming from our 600m global users.
Our goal is to have a flexible platform, services and applications, enabling us to serve our existing products and build new ones.
- Participate in global application layer design and architecture
- Architect, design and build Kotlin applications which serve millions of our users daily
- Build tools that improve the developer experience of Bumble engineers
- Work with service-owning teams to help them operate their applications in production using the tools and platform
- Analyse performance characteristics of the parts of our system and improve them
- We are growing fast so we expect you to mentor less experienced engineers
EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Experienced and current Java/Kotlin developer
- Proven experience in building and operating scalable distributed services for real-world use cases
- A deep understanding of concurrency, resiliency, caching, HTTP
- Experience working with microservices and an understanding of both pros and cons of monolithic vs. microservice architectures
- Experience splitting a large monolithic codebase into smaller services
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Kafka, Docker, circuit breaker, Prometheus, TeamCity, DDD etc
- Experience handling time-sensitive and/or large data sets
- Experience in relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Experience in PHP is a plus, or being comfortable with learning PHP in order to read the existing codebase or even modify occasionally, while the role itself is focused on Kotlin development.
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced environment where you communicate daily with world-class talent from our global teams
- You are positive and committed with a 'can-do' attitude and a flexible approach
- You are a problem solver and a forward thinker
- You are a self-starter: you thrive on taking ownership of initiatives with limited oversight
- You have excellent time management and you know how to manage multiple priorities, breaking large projects into manageable pieces
- You have great communication skills, both verbal and written
- You are deeply passionate about Bumble’s brand vision and values: kindness, growth, respect, accountability, courage and equality
Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with a combined user base of over 600 million globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.
The Bumble app
With over 100 million users, Bumble connects people across dating (Bumble Date), friendship (Bumble BFF) and professional networking (Bumble Bizz). No matter the type of relationship, women make the first move on Bumble. Bumble recognises the importance of relationships and how crucial they are to a healthy, happy life. They've built their platform around kindness, respect, and equality - and their users play an important part in that. Bumble holds its users accountable for their actions and has zero-tolerance for hate, aggression, or bullying. Bumble is available in 150 countries. Since 2014, Bumble has facilitated over a billion women-led first moves and over fifteen billion messages sent.
The Badoo app
Launched in 2006, Badoo is the dating app that encourages its users to date honestly. Badoo operates in 190 countries and is available in 51 different languages, making it the world's most widely-used dating network. The app is available on iOS, Android, and the web.
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!