OLIOLondona day ago
OLIO is the world’s only neighbour-to-neighbour food sharing app, and our mission is to solve the problem of food waste in the home & local community, at scale. We do this by connecting anyone with spare food – which can be households or food businesses – with neighbours living nearby who would like it. Globally, over one-third of all the food we produce gets thrown away, which is worth over $1 trillion; and in a country like the UK half of all food waste takes place in the home. OLIO solves this problem with our award-winning mobile & web app.
Over the past 5 years, OLIO has grown from a local initiative in North London to a global movement. We now have 4 million users who have given away 25 million food portions in 59 countries. OLIOers have also given away 3 million household items in our non-food section; and the new ‘MADE’ section in the app which connects neighbours to sell homemade food and hand-made crafts, is growing extremely fast.
Underpinning OLIO’s incredible growth has been our volunteer programme, with over 50,000 people reaching out to spread the word about OLIO in their local community. We also work with over 2,500 business locations across the UK via our Food Waste Heroes Programme to enable them to have zero food waste locations.
We have a bold ambition to have 1 billion OLIOers by 2030, given that reducing food waste has been identified by Project Drawdown as the #1 most important thing humanity can do to mitigate the worst effects of the climate crisis. Our work has been widely recognised, most notably by the United Nations who highlighted OLIO as a "beacon” for the world, and by Vivatech who awarded OLIO "Next European Unicorn".
OLIO has recently raised our Series B, and so to take OLIO to its next level in growth and impact, we’re recruiting for a People Director to take responsibility for all aspects of the performance, development, culture, and HR administration for the OLIO team. The People Director will report into OLIO’s Co-founder & CEO and be part of the Senior Leadership Team.
The next stage of OLIO’s journey will be focused on three core areas:
1) Product development – Of both the core OLIO app and the systems that govern our Food Waste Heroes Programme (OLIO’s B2B proposition). This will see our technical team scaling from 10 FTEs to 35+, and our product team scaling from 6 FTEs to approx. 20.
2) Internationalisation - Into Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Columbia), Asia (Singapore, NZ, AU) and Northern Europe (Ireland, Sweden, Netherlands), where we have already seen strong organic traction. For this growth stage, the model will focus on developing Group capabilities to support local markets, rather than building in-market teams. We will also need to be ready to scale/enter new markets faster than planned.
3) Food Waste Heroes Programme – We will be rapidly scaling the FWH Programme and growing this team from 15 FTEs to 50+, comprising primarily Account Managers and Business Development Managers
We anticipate the company will scale from approx. 40 FTEs today to 150+ within the next 2.5 years.
- Building out the People function. We anticipate this will include 2 new FTEs, with one focused on L&D and the other on HR management.
- Supporting the Co-founders and functional leaders as they rapidly scale the organisation, including mapping out the implications for the organisational structure, processes, communications and people development
- Supporting functional heads and recruiting managers to ensure their recruitment processes and on-boarding plans are robust and effective
- Running all aspects of HR management including employment contracts, option grants, company policies, the employee handbook, the company intranet etc
- Overseeing the twice-yearly process of 360 reviews, salary reviews, employee satisfaction surveys and personal development plans
- Organise the twice-yearly company retreat, with the support of OLIO’s Co-founders & an external agency
- Working closely with OLIO’s co-founders to codify and reinforce the OLIO culture so that it scales with us
- Ensuring that a ‘growth mindset’ continues to prevail, and supporting that with the development of a robust suite of continuous learning options to support all levels and functions. A strong focus will need to be given to line management and feedback skills.
- Ensuring that an MVP/MVP+ approach is taken to all new people-related initiatives, whilst flagging any trade-offs we need to be aware of
- Building strong relationships with your peers, including the CTO, CMO, Chief Growth Officer, Heads of Product etc.
- Developing a strong understanding of the overall company strategy, product proposition and core business processes to ensure that we have the people power to deliver to these requirements
- Being an active member of the Senior Leadership Team, and supporting the co-founders in the effective leadership of the company and future fundraising rounds (Series C+)
This is an incredibly exciting time to join OLIO and help us unlock our full potential! OLIO is a remote-first company with an incredibly strong culture and was last year listed as a top 5 place to work by Escape The City. We live for our mission, but like to have fun along the way!
Our ideal candidate will first and foremost be as passionate about our mission as we are! In addition to this, you will have the following attributes:
- 10+ years in People leadership positions within high growth digital scale-ups
- Experience leading in a remote-first business
- Experience supporting a rapidly scaling organisation, ensuring that productivity, morale and culture are maintained even as the organisation grows
- Experience of international employment law, systems & processes
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with a strong bias towards action
- An inspirational leader with excellent people management and communication skills
- A strong strategic thinker, with an ability to translate that into operational excellence
All OLIO team members share these attributes:
- Mission obsessed
- Self-starters with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Resourceful and creative
- Thorough, but able to move quickly and decisively
- A ruthless ability to prioritise
- Excellent communication skills
- Diverse (18 nationalities, 21% LGBTQT+, early 20s to 45+)
- Fun to work with
You can get a bit more insight into OLIO and its founders, here: