We’re looking for someone entrepreneurial and customer-centric to look after our customers and make sure they love their journeys, planning and delivering excellent holiday experiences. We need someone detail-oriented with excellent written and spoken communication skills. We need someone who isn’t afraid to jump right in and support us wherever needed: a fast learner with a proactive growth mindset who will thrive in an environment of changing priorities and high momentum. This is a role with a huge opportunity for mentorship and growth.
We help people explore the world by travelling through it, not flying over it
We exist to make flight-free holidays seamless and personal from start to end. We help our customers love their journeys by train and boat, opening their eyes to a new way of holidaying in which they can experience the lesser-known parts of the world instead of flying over them. Byway is blazing a trail into a new travel ecosystem growing up around sustainable, authentic and conscious travel. We have certified as a Pending B Corporation, which means we’re committed to building a business that’s a force for good.
Your key responsibilities
- Make sure our customers love their journeys, customising their holidays and supporting them in-trip via email, WhatsApp and phone
- Make sales, deliver and run trips, manage disruption and use customer feedback and your own knowledge and research to continually improve our product, routes and journeys
- Fulfil the manual elements of customer bookings by reliably purchasing the correct category, class and price of room and ticket across multiple legs
- Craft customer stories from the trips you’ve led to share with our growing community of slow travellers
- Support our team in any area of the business needed, from customer service, to marketing and community building, to product and data management
What we’re looking for
- Belief in our mission and a passion for sustainability and/or slow travel
- The ability to write beautifully creative and grammatically perfect travel content and great attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a positive approach to interactions with our team and customers
- Proficiency working with spreadsheets (Google Sheets/Excel) and comfort populating and organising data sets
- An enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude and an agile approach
- Customer service experience and/or operations experience in a high growth start-up or small team
What would be great (but isn’t required)
- Fluency/proficiency in French, Italian, Spanish and/or German
What we offer
- £20,000 p.a. (prorated for the six month internship)
- A clear path to promotion to Operations Executive thereafter (or sooner, with exceptional performance)
- Remote-first (twice monthly days in our London office, with travel allowance) and flexible working
- Mentorship from across our team and that of our investor, Founders Factory
- Exposure to many aspects of the business and the opportunity to be part of building a start-up in its second year
Join a travel startup in 2021! Are you crazy?
Covid lockdowns have forced a total shutdown of air travel, and opened people’s eyes to the environmental bounce-back possible. At the same time, we’ve all been forced to slow down and reconnect with our local areas as never before. Emerging from lockdown, airport experiences, quarantines and long flights with strangers are prompting many to look to travel closer to home. 2021 is the year of the staycation and holidays away from the crowds.
We’re committed to building a diverse culture and are eager to receive applications from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
Please apply with your CV and a short covering letter. We are much more interested in your covering letter than your CV.