Java Kotlin Engineer
BumbleBarcelona9 months ago
We strongly encourage people of colour, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. Bumble is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
We are happy to announce: Bumble engineering team comes to Barcelona!
THE BUMBLE APP connects people across dating (Bumble Date), friendship (Bumble BFF) and professional networking (Bumble Bizz). No matter the type of relationship, women make the first move on Bumble. Bumble recognises the importance of relationships and how crucial they are to a healthy, happy life. They've built their platform around kindness, respect, and equality - and their users play an important part in that. Bumble holds its users accountable for their actions and has zero-tolerance for hate, aggression, or bullying. Bumble is available in 150 countries. Since 2014, Bumble has facilitated over a billion women-led first moves and over fifteen billion messages sent.
THE BADOO APP launched in 2006, Badoo is the dating app that encourages its users to date honestly. Badoo operates in 190 countries and is available in 51 different languages, making it the world's most widely-used dating network. The app is available on iOS, Android, and the web.
Bumble is looking for a talented Senior Level Java Kotlin developer to own and drive technical projects from specification through to delivery and beyond. You will impact millions of users, share know-how with the community and experiment a lot. If you get a buzz from taking initiative, redefining expectations but also getting involved in challenging technical debates with the team, this is your place.
This permanent role will be based in Barcelona.
- Participate in global application layer design and architecture
- Architect, design and build Kotlin applications which serve millions of our users daily
- Build tools that improve the developer experience of Bumble engineers
- Work with service-owning teams to help them operate their applications in production using the tools and platform
- Analyse performance characteristics of the parts of our system and improve them
- We are growing fast so we expect you to mentor less experienced engineers
EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Experienced and current Java/Kotlin developer
- Proven experience in building and operating scalable distributed services for real-world use cases
- A deep understanding of concurrency, resiliency, caching, HTTP
- Experience working with microservices and an understanding of both pros and cons of monolithic vs. microservice architectures
- Experience splitting a large monolithic codebase into smaller servicesFamiliarity with Kubernetes, Kafka, Docker, circuit breaker, Prometheus, TeamCity, DDD etc
- Experience handling time-sensitive and/or large data setsExperience in relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Experience in PHP is a plus, or being comfortable with learning PHP in order to read the existing codebase or even modify occasionally, while the role itself is focused on Kotlin development.
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced environment where you communicate daily with world-class talent from our global teams
- You are positive and committed with a 'can-do' attitude and a flexible approach
- You are a problem solver and a forward thinker
- You are a self-starter: you thrive on taking ownership of initiatives with limited oversight
- You have excellent time management and you know how to manage multiple priorities, breaking large projects into manageable pieces
- You have great communication skills, both verbal and written
- You are deeply passionate about Bumble’s brand vision and values: kindness, growth, respect, accountability, courage and equality
- Employee Incentive Plan (EIP)
- £2,000 annual personal learning & development budget
- Private Medical Insurance (PMI)
- Private Dental Insurance
- Mental health support
- 24 working days of holidays
- Relevant conference & events tickets
- Latest equipment
- English language classes
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ - connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ - meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!