Head of Product Design
FutureGovOpen to applications from anywhere in the UK1M ago
About the role
As the head of product design at FutureGov, you’ll be responsible for how we design the best possible digital experiences to support the delivery of services. This means making sure that all digital design work is usable, accessible and meets the needs of users. You’ll set clear standards for the team, making sure products deliver the best possible user experience and outcomes.
As a leader, you’ll be expected to ensure quality, innovation and creativity in how we approach all aspects of product design as part of delivery and when working directly with FutureGov clients. As an experienced practitioner, you can identify and bring inspiration and best practices from outside the company to shape and improve how we work.
This role will report directly to FutureGov’s chief design officer, and will also work closely with our product and technology director, technology consultants and developers. You’ll be expected to work collaboratively with our experience director, and with other design directors as part of the senior design leadership in the company.
Product design is currently a small and in-demand specialist team at FutureGov. This new role is an important part of how we intend to grow and shape our design practices to support the FutureGov mission.
- working as an experienced designer to lead by example, advising clients and providing product and interaction design expertise as part of project delivery
- making sure that all digital design work is of the highest quality, it’s expected that around 60% of your time will be spent on the delivery of client-facing work and priorities
- owning and directing high-level product strategy, framing, and product propositions
- leading and setting out approaches for how the team design user flows, prototypes, interactions and user interfaces
- day-to-day accountability for all people management in the product design team
- responsible for managing people plans and processes for the product design team, including hiring and recruitment (with a 3 to 6 months implementation focus)
- maintaining a great employee experience (onboarding, personal development and retention)
- support resourcing to ensure the design requirements of projects are being met and making sure the way project teams are resourced aligns with individual interests, strengths and development plans
- supporting how digital design and product work is reviewed as part of live projects to ensure quality and consistency
- day-to-day accountability for how products, tools and technologies are designed in a responsive way to meet accessibility standards
- sharing, documenting knowledge and working with design systems, ensuring best practices that will guide the consistency and quality of all FutureGov work
- communicating and representing FutureGov’s work at sector events and supporting business development when required
Skills and experience (essential):
- a track record of leading other product or interaction designers through a process of defining clear product propositions and problem framing
- working with hypothesis-driven approaches when designing for user flows, journeys, interactions and user interfaces
- experience of applying, and leading others using technical knowledge when creating and designing workable prototypes in different levels of fidelity (paper, clickable and ideally in code); focusing on learning, over finished products
- knowledge and experience of how to design solutions that work for everyone, including usability and accessibility considerations to meet user needs and to deliver the best possible user experiences
- experience of working with developers and technical teams to deliver a backlog of work, working from user stories, and translating design into development
- ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, balancing internal business priorities with external delivery and work on client projects
- willing to travel in the UK to work with FutureGov clients and for the purposes of project delivery and prepared to stay overnight on occasion if required
Skills and experience (desirable):
- experience of working in an agency or consultancy, ideally with experience of working on product design delivery for government, health or third sector organisations
- experience of defining and working with metrics/KPIs to measure success and experience in working with data analytics or with data specialists
- an understanding of how to work with design patterns as well as experience of designing, implementing and contributing to design systems
- an understanding of how products are developed and maintained to optimise for performance using open-source technologies and suitable frameworks
Why work at FutureGov?
- the opportunity to achieve impact in the public sector through your work
- flexible working to help you function at your best
- generous parental leave
- we’re collaborative, and will readily give our time to help your development and invest in your training
- we’re a great team and regularly hang out together - whether that’s our Friday team breakfasts, summer retreats or interest groups to help everyone connect
- everyone has a voice - inclusivity and respect are key to our culture
- we help you make time for the things that matter through generous holiday allowance, pension schemes and paid volunteer days
- drinks and snacks in our studio
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview. If you’d like to understand more about inclusion at FutureGov, contact Faith. Deadline for applications is 30 June 2020.