Head of People
Direct email applications ONLY - If you wish to be considered for this position, all documentation should be sent via EMAIL to email@example.com
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- Tell us how you have built a “People function” in your recent workplace(s)?
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
- Where did you first hear about this opportunity?
Send these via email with “Head of People Application – Your Name” as the subject line by 9am on 6th June.
- Salary: £43,625 – £47,000 (with scope for progression)
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle / Remote
- Responsible To: Director of Operations
- Responsible For: People and HR Officer
- Application Deadline: 6th June (9am)
- Interview Dates: 13 – 15 June (First Round), 20 – 22 June (Second/ Final Round)
Are you a people first HR professional with experience of growing high performing teams?
Hatch is a dynamic organisation at a pivotal growth point, the team has doubled in size in the last 18 months from 12 to 26 people and we expect to double in size again in the coming year to around 50 people. Of course, this means that recruiting and onboarding the right people is a key organisational focus for us, as well ensuring we retain and continue to develop our existing team. We’re looking for a dynamic, experienced culture champion to develop and build-out Hatch’s People & HR strategy and execute against it.
As the Head of People you will lead the development, implementation and evaluation of best in class people strategies that support the organisation in achieving its vision, mission and strategic goals. You will balance acting as advisor and consultant to Hatch’s senior leadership group, with rolling up your sleeves and executing solutions. Your job will be to optimise processes across the employee life cycle including hiring, training, professional development, and performance management to ensure these efforts support the organisation’s growth and bottom line in a people-centred way.
At Hatch, trust, honesty, transparency and good communication are key as we continue to expand our work to serve more underrepresented founders. You will spend time learning about senior leader’s talent management perspectives and philosophies and working with them to continue to develop a well-defined company culture, through strategic “storytelling” and developing and implementing appropriate rituals and frameworks, ensuring that the company values are reinforced with every initiative and communication.
As an expert in leveraging talent you will support the professional development of the whole Hatch team and will coach Hatch managers, to better deliver their people responsibilities, from line management all the way to resource planning and performance management. You will help to drive transformative change for the organisation as we grow and scale our services.
This is a new role and you will have scope to expand the People and HR team over time.
- Working with the Senior Leadership Team to develop and implement a progressive People Strategy aligned with Hatch’s overall vision, values and organisational strategy.
- Ensure that people are at the heart of Hatch through the development of values aligned approaches to resource planning, recruitment and retention, performance management, professional development, reward and recognition and staff engagement in alignment with the vision and values of the organisation
- Engaging the team in developing a Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion strategy and taking proactive action to ensure the organisation fosters an inclusive culture in everything we do
Resource Planning and Recruitment
- Delivering resourcing and talent management solutions to ensure Hatch builds a diverse team with the right number of people, with the right skills, in the right place, at the right level and at the right cost as we grow
- Developing tools and approaches to support the senior leadership group to better understand, manage and predict the capacity in their teams and stay ahead of their recruitment needs
- Developing and implementing frameworks, systems and processes to help us improve and monitor productivity across the organisation
- Ensuring our approaches to recruitment, selection and onboarding new team members and to supporting team members development into, within and beyond their roles remain fit for purpose as we grow
- Further developing our pay, benefits and progression framework to inspire and motivate outstanding performance whilst ensuring value for money
- Further developing our performance management framework to encourage high performance, professional development and values alignment
- Further developing a career development framework and approach to leadership development and succession planning appropriate to a fast-growing organisation, and providing support and advice to the team and managers to navigate these
- Developing Hatch’s employee value proposition and working with the Head of Marketing and Communications to build Hatch’s brand as an employer of choice
- Developing and delivering an approach to measuring, understanding and continually improving team engagement, satisfaction, and effectiveness
- Advising on the implementation of Hatch’s wellbeing offering, including reviewing and making recommendations around the introduction of an employee assistance programme and other initiatives, working with a cross-organisational group of colleagues
Systems, data and compliance
- Identifying and implementing effective HR and recruitment systems and software as part of Hatch’s wider move to upgrade our systems and processes as we grow
- Developing and delivering reports of key people and HR metrics to the SLG and Board as relevant
- Ensuring people policies, procedures and contracts are up to date, aligned with organisation need, values and in line with current legislation
- Providing advice and guidance on matters of employment law, regulations and good practice to Hatch SLG and Board as necessary
- An all rounder, able to develop a big picture vision and deliver on the details
- A keen eye and passion for talent, and how to attract it into a business
- A focus on diversity and inclusion as a competitive business advantage
- Ability to build authentic relationships across a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent communicator on all levels with demonstrated empathy and strong interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills and and ability to make, and support others to make, data-informed decisions
- Project management skills
- Problem-solving skills
- 5 years experience in People and HR roles
- Leadership of end to end employee life cycle
- Partnering with business stakeholders across a whole organisation, especially senior stakeholders
- Leading People & culture project roll outs
- Developing a positive performance culture
- Experience with recruitment and HR systems advantageous
Attitudes and Behaviours
- A culture champion
- Comfortable having the ‘tough’ conversations
- Creative, innovative and cutting edge, ready to bring and to work with bold ideas, to test and learn from experiments
- Entrepreneurial, not afraid to shoot for the stars, make mistakes and learn along the wayExcited by the Hatch mission to support underrepresented founders
- Works well on their own initiative and can be relied on to get the job done in a busy working environment
- Commitment to ongoing learning and personal development
We care about our people and give them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important recently. We have an office in Elephant & Castle, which is available for anyone to work from as much or as little as they’d like. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop to get you set up. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working – work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 38 fully flexible holiday days (including the 9 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements, we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact us.
Please note we are only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.