Full Stack Engineer
Sano GeneticsCambridge, UKa year ago
Sano is a software platform that matches people with medical research, and provides personalised insights and recommendations based on their data. The platform is private by design, and puts users in full control over their data.
To discover cures for the diseases that affect us and our families, we need to enable people to contribute to medical science, effortlessly and on their own terms. We started Sano to enable medical research that is data-driven and puts people at the centre.
We have built a software platform that matches people with medical research, and provides personalised recommendations and insights based on their data.
The platform is private and user-centric by design - we think people should be in control of their sensitive health data and choose who can access it. We also offer at-home DNA testing, which means that people can participate much more conveniently and researchers can run their studies faster, at-lower cost, globally, and reach participants who might not otherwise be able to join.
Today, the Sano platform helps thousands of people connect to relevant research projects including clinical trials which are testing new medicines, and to access personalised reports based on their genetic data.
Over the next year, we are expanding our product to be a 'patient portal' for national scale precision medicine initiatives (e.g. Genomics England) with the potential to impact millions of people.
We are a team of 12 people today, so this is an exceptional chance to join early in our journey to help define our culture, and the company’s mission.
What you will do
We need a skilled, reliable, and motivated full-stack engineer who can deliver on tasks involving a mix of frontend, backend related skills. For example:
- We’d like to build a Content Management System allowing our research team to launch new research studies and personalised reports. You would be responsible for writing the front-end interface and backend endpoints to accept data sent from the client and update the relevant records in the database.
- We want to build a system to better automate tracking of DNA test kits that are mailed out to research participants, and you would take the lead on building an API integration with our main service provider. To do this, you need to be proficient at reading and understanding API documentation, implementing endpoints according to this documentation, and making any required database schema changes.
- We want to make it easier for people to join Sano and for Sano users to join research. To do this, we need to build API integrations to securely share data with trusted partners (always with the users permission).
- Building robust API integrations with third party services
- Writing server code to return data to the client via REST interfaces
- Making careful adjustments to our database schema to accurately model the entities and relationships that are essential for our product.
- Experience in SQL database schema design
- Experience in Python programming
- Experience in Authentication protocols (OAuth, JWT)
- Experience and good habits with Python unit testing
- Solid fundamentals in best practices of building REST interfaces.
- Experience with Python web frameworks and ORMs e.g. Flask, Peewee, PostgreSQL (nice to have, not required to apply)
- Experience with client frameworks and datastores such as Vue.js, Vuex, and VuexORM (nice to have, not required to apply)
- Opportunity to define the strategic direction for a quickly growing company
- Company culture driven by transparency, impact, accountability and curiosity
- Flexible / remote working opportunities (please note - the company is currently operating fully remote due to COVID-19 and is committed to do so until at least November 2020, possibly longer. We have experience onboarding new team members remotely and will make sure you are an integral part of the team from day 1!)
- Pension plan
- Employee share options
- 25 working days holiday + 8 bank holidays
Deadline for application is August 19th
We will contact successful candidates by August 21st and send them a technical test to take at home (to be returned by August 31st). Successful candidates will be invited to a first interview on the week of August 31st. This will be followed by a technical interview taking place the week of September 7th. Candidates passing the technical interview should expect to hear back from us by September 11th.
Sano Genetics welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status. Please note: we are unable to sponsor visas for this position.