WonderblyLondon18 days ago
We’re looking for a frontend engineer to join us at Wonderbly and help build software that makes millions of kids happy all around the world.
This is an important role within our growing and purpose-led team of developers, designers and product people that build wonderbly.com, the e-commerce hub at the heart of our business. We’re looking for someone to join us who shares our values of kindness, curiosity and courageousness.
We’re a company with a global reach, but still small enough that individuals make a huge contribution. You will be part of a fast-moving team and we’ll need your input into how we scope projects, deliver features and support our stack. As well as the close team of designers, developers and PMs you will interact with marketing, our books studio and operations.
There will be support and training from more experienced members of the team, improving both your soft and hard skills. We’ll offer guidance through pair programming and sharing how we think about system design. There are weekly 1-1s with your manager, yearly reviews, regular team and personal goal setting. We are an expanding business and hope to be able to offer you the opportunity to grow with us.
If you’re a front-end developer, who wants to work on projects and products you can finally explain to the children (or even your parents) in your life, we’d love to chat.
In the next 12 months you will be:
- Work with product managers and designers to to build the world’s best bookshop by helping deliver features and epics
- Aiming to build well crafted, quality, tested solutions with the help and collaboration of the rest of the team.
- Improve your understanding of the technologies we use to build the website and learn more about frontend programming.
Examples of recent work we’ve done include reworking how users discover books on the site, providing personalised images across the checkout flow and adding bundle functionality and upsell in the cart.
We’re currently working on a big cross-functional project that involves building a new interactive UI that allows users to have more options to personalise the appearance of their avatars that appear in the books. This project is a company-wide collaboration with the story studio and the artists who illustrate our books.
What we need from you
- Experience with some of the following (or similar): Redux, Hooks, Webpack, Testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha), Heroku and Github. We can help fill any gaps in your knowledge.
- Ability or interest in learning how to deal with a range of areas and projects from static landing pages, dynamic personalisation fields and checkout flow
- Be able to work with designers and help iterate and deliver their ideas within the tech constraints we have. An appreciation for design, accessibility and UX
- Show empathy with your colleagues around the whole business
- A passion for creating beautiful experiences our customers will love
Take a look through our website and you’ll be able to see the type of work we do and the quality we expect. Apply and we can talk about all this in more detail and hear about your experience and how we might work together to make it even better
Why you’ll love working at Wonderbly
We’re on a mission to inspire boundless self-belief in every child, everywhere through our beautiful personalised books. You’ll be surrounded by inclusive, diverse and self-motivated people inspired by this exciting mission.
- Salary of £35,000 - £50,000 p/a
- 28 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays
- Health insurance to keep you and your family in tip-top shape
- Pension scheme with matched contributions
- Flexible remote working with the option to come into the office
Post lockdown we will keep flexibility and convenience of work from home but with the option to use the office when you want with the expectation of joining us in person for key events throughout the year. Plenty of the usual perks when in the office. Happy to discuss what works best for you.
Our hiring process
- Initial application
- Short initial chat by phone/zoom so both sides can learn about each other.
- Technical Interview - more in-depth interview to chat about the work you have delivered in the past. We’d ideally go through some code examples - if you have done a coding test elsewhere or have code you’ve worked on in the past you can share that would be great. Let us know what helps you best show off your skills.
- Team Interviews - meetings with some of the wider members of the team such as designer, product manager
- Decision - either an offer or we will come back to you with feedback.
The best way to find out more is to apply - we’re open to having a chat and answering any questions you may have.