ImpalaUK +/- 2 hours GMT19d ago
Thanks for checking out our job description for a Frontend Engineer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just diving straight in with words like “revolutionising” and “disrupting”.
As such, we apologise in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
All that aside though, we’re pretty proud to be listed number 2 in London’s best startups to work at in 2021.
By the way, the salary for this role begins we want to be upfront about salaries from the get go (we like being up front and honest):
- Junior; £45k or equivalent
- Mid Level £55k or equivalent
- Senior £65k at a senior level, dependent on experience
What is Impala?
Impala is making the process of booking hotel rooms ridiculously easy. We’re providing hotels with a powerful data distribution infrastructure.
In short, we’re transforming the way hotel guests across the world browse, book, stay and pay. In shorter, we’re making the world a better place for guests, hotels, and online travel agents. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched our original API product in January 2019 and since then have grown at - quite frankly - a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
This has allowed us to bring forward our ambition to revolutionise the hotel distribution market and help empower millions of people across the globe.
We are a growing remote-first team of exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial who make up a thriving, active, supportive community.
Where is Impala going?
We’re supported by some of the most respected investors in the business, the early-stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago, Monzo, Travelperk, Transferwise, Airbnb, GetYourGuide, Omio, Spotify and more!
They’re on board because of the shared opportunity we have before us - revolutionising a 1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
They also share our vision of a future in which travel is seamlessly connected and relentlessly inventive.
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team extensively within the next year. Now is the most exciting time to be joining Impala as we go through a large push to grow and scale, both as a service and a community!
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
You will be a key contributor to new frontend services, ensuring a high level of quality for both our code and our user experience. Your role will involve analysing and optimising the product and technical performance of features to continually improve customer experience. You will work closely with the Impala ensign team to create an enjoyable user experience.
You should join us if:
- You’re an innovative over-achiever, who keeps it human.
- You have strong experience and expertise with ReactJS and good knowledge of JS fundamentals.
- You are comfortable working closely with product owners, designers, UX experts and the ability to translate their designs/requirements into maintainable, componentised UIs.
- You have experience with the design and consumption of REST APIs.
- You have knowledge and ability across the stack, and are able to contribute to and build out backend services, where necessary.
- You share our organisational vision of democratising travel and enabling innovation across an entire industry.
- You thrive on excellence, autonomy and rebellion.
- You’re ready for a rollercoaster!
Where will you work?
We are a remote-first company. This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance and accommodating the best people in Europe, while also fostering diversity.
We have loads of remote initiatives to ensure you’re fully setup !
- We give you an additional generous Personalised Workspace Budget for things like monitors, keyboards, desk chairs and headphones.
- We offer an office stipend - you can furnish your home office with a generous £150 monthly stipend (coffee, snacks, wifi bills, cleaning, desk equipment, plus anything in between).
- We have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, whose role is, among other things, to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and be empowered whilst working remotely.
- We will give you a brand new high-spec laptop when you start, giving you the choice between a Thinkpad or Mac.
We employ anyone within +/- 2h from GMT, timezone wise.
We have a London based, non-compulsory, office provision, however due to Covid-19, we have no short-term plans for any compulsory office, until at least 2022.
What you will get in return?
- We offer 3.5x the average annual UK raise, even if you remain within the same role. We reward Impalans with competitive salaries and regular reviews; whether you're an individual contributor or you want to manage people.
- We’re in the top 14% of companies in the UK for holiday allowance, at 36 days.
- Flexible working hours; with Core Hours from 10-3, meaning you can plan your work day around your own schedule. #flexappeal.
- Flexible benefits; meaning you can build your own adventure to create the most meaningful benefits package to you.
- Additional flexible working options, including extended lunch break options, Recess Hour, and loads more.
- You’ll have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager and you’ll get to be involved in our unique Pop Up Parties.
- A generous Loved Ones Budget - £750 annually to get your friends & family over to visit you once a year, no matter how near or far from home you are based.
- One Unsick day off per year, to keep up with proactive health admin - so you can finally sort that trip to the dentist and get those health screens ticked off.
- We invest in your development with a generous £1,000 Professional Development budget per year, and your manager will support you to realise your potential further.
- Fun and inclusive monthly social events.
- Access to Bippit, a financial wellbeing app.
- A super strong and proactive focus on mental and physical wellbeing. From Vitality health insurance, to Sanctus, to a monthly gym membership reimbursement, plus heaps more.
- You'll work for a company that's proactive about its social responsibility within the travel industry.
- You’ll work for a company truly passionate about D&I to the extent that we made a Deck. You can help build a company that intends to support diversity and inclusion at the grassroots.
- Weekly 10% Time.
If your answer is ‘yes’ and you are really excited to learn more, feel free to check out our Medium page and our Culture Deck, which includes more information about who we are, what we do, what matters to us and our culture.
Want to know more about our CEO, or want a deeper understanding of our what and why? Then simply watch this video to learn more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBZuoxCbKM
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.