This is a perfect entry-level role for someone looking for a career in tech, particularly as a Product Manager, or in marketing or operations. We value diversity in all its forms.
We help people manage their money better, supported by someone they trust, typically a carer.
Over six million people in the UK live with some kind of cognitive impairment, such as dementia, learning difficulties or a mental health problem. Toucan helps these people share timely spending alerts or selected financial information securely with someone they trust, helping them delegate financial admin and keeping them safe.
Since the team came together in March 2019, we’ve designed, built and tested our app with people living with mental health problems, working with leading research charity the Money and Mental Health Policy Institute through Nationwide’s Open Banking for Good programme. We’ve also recently been shortlisted as finalists for Nesta Challenge’s Open Up 2020, where we were awarded £100k due to our commitment to financial inclusion.
We’re veterans of financial services and technology, with 30+ combined years of experience building products in companies like Monzo, Zopa, and Deliveroo. We draw inspiration from the stories surfaced in our customer research as well as our own personal experiences to drive our mission.
What you’d be doing
Work and learn with us, in a friendly, open-minded, experienced team. You’ll be hungry to contribute, joining us early doors as we build a truly inclusive and impact-driven tech company. As an early hire, we hope you’re looking forward to growing with us, shaping the future team and company culture.
Working across the team, you’ll spend most of your time with our CEO, Bailey, our COO, Emily, and our Head of Design, Lilian. We’re looking for a hands-on generalist who can take initiative but ask for help and feedback when needed, solving problems thoughtfully and efficiently.
You’ll be responsible for looking after our community (the amazing group of people who are helping us with feedback as we design and test the app) and you’ll also have a chance to get involved in a wide variety of projects depending on what we need and what you’re interested in.
Having said that, here’s some of what we think you’ll be doing, day-to-day, with our support:
- Looking after our users and our community
- Working with Bailey and Lilian on user testing and research projects
- Responding to support requests from people using the app
- Asking for feedback from our community
- Being the ‘voice of the community’ when the team makes product decisions
- Working with the team to write up feedback into user stories
- Creating and prioritising tickets for Jira, the software we use to plan design and development work
- Writing in all its different guises
- Writing reports for partners, blog posts and content for the app or website
- Sending email announcements
- Entering awards and competitions
- Supporting our commercial partnerships work
- Working with the team to prepare for, run and write up workshops
- Keeping our CRM system up-to-date
- Planning for and helping run events, like our research report launch
This is the perfect role if you’re interested in a career in tech, particularly as a Product Manager, or in marketing or operations. We’ll be able to shape your development around your interests over time, tapping into the expertise both in the team around you and in our wider network.
Who we’re looking for
As an entry-level role, we don’t have specific requirements and we’re not screening based on your professional background. If you’re passionate, capable and have an interest in growing with an early stage tech company looking to do some good, we’d love to talk to you.
What we’d love to see from you:
- You’re relaxed about talking to a range of people, either by email, on the phone or in person
- You have excellent written English
- You’re able to conduct thorough desktop research into a topic, and able to write up a structured summary
- You know how to work with spreadsheets and are not afraid to learn basic technical skills
- You’re organised and able to manage your own time
- You can collaborate with the team and are open to and keen to offer feedback
What we can offer
We are planning on paying a salary of £25,000-30,000 for this role (plus equity), dependent on experience. We’re looking for someone who can join full time (5 days a week) and will consider flexible working for the right candidate.
We’re based in central London, near Liverpool Street and Bank stations. We normally work from home on Fridays, but that’s optional.
When you start, we’ll work with you to create a plan and goals for your first three months, making sure to support you and set you up for success.
How to apply
If you have any questions about this role or you’d like to apply, please email our CEO, Bailey, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please email Bailey with 2-3 paragraphs about why you’re applying for this role, and attach your latest CV.
From there, the team will shortlist candidates based on CVs and covering emails. You should hear back within a week. For shortlisted candidates, the process should take 2-3 weeks and will look like this:
- We’ll contact you to arrange a phone interview, which will take around 15-20 minutes
- If successful, we’ll ask you to complete a writing task at home which should take you a maximum of 3 hours
- If successful, we’ll ask you to come into the office for an interview and to meet the team
[When applying please mention your application came through YSYS jobs board]