Communications Manager - Beyond Covid
Economic Change UnitRemote - UK15d ago
Contract type: Freelance contract to 30 October 2020, with potential for extension
Hours: Between 20 and 37.5 hours per week (negotiable) with flexible hours
Day rate: Competitive, negotiable
Start date: Asap - no later than 24 August 2020
Application deadline: 9.00 am, 6 August 2020
Interviews: 13 August 2020
We’re looking for an experienced Communications Manager to launch a groundbreaking new initiative that navigates the debate on the post-Covid economy.
The coronavirus crisis has exposed profound problems with the way our economy and society are organised. Many people are arguing that as we try to recover from the coronavirus crisis, we should not go back to the world we had before. But there’s a cacophony of voices arguing about how we can build back better, making it hard to find meaning in the noise.
Beyond Covid (beyond-covid.org) will enable people to explore the conversation about how to build a more resilient, just and sustainable economy and society, as we move through and beyond the crisis. The website, along with a weekly digest and webinar discussion series, will curate the latest insights from think tanks, academics and practitioners to provide an authoritative, accessible guide to our economy after Covid.
We’ll be ready to launch the full site in September, with authoritative articles on themes including the welfare state, health and social care, the climate crisis, and paying for the recovery. Now we need a versatile communications professional with excellent digital skills to ensure the site takes centre-stage in the media and political debates around our future economy.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Communications Manager to develop and deliver a high-impact launch plan for the website, and to grow our audiences for the digest and webinar series. Our work is highly dynamic and you’ll need to hit the ground running, taking a hands-on approach and providing leadership for other members in the team.
While this assignment has a short-term focus, your work will lay the foundations for the longer-term growth of the Beyond Covid brand. It will also inform the development of a permanent communications role in the team, which we intend to create in September/October 2020.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Planning, delivering and measuring the success of an integrated marketing campaign for the launch of Beyond Covid
- Performing detailed audience analysis, segmentation and profiling, ensuring we maximise our impact on priority audiences
- Coordinating a sophisticated email outreach campaign, growing our reach to target audiences and their networks
- Ensuring maximum visibility in search results through SEO and keyword advertising, working closely with colleagues leading on website design and content
- Developing and leading the delivery of a social media campaign, including commissioning shareable video and graphic assets
- Growing our audiences for the Beyond Covid digest and webinar series, through integrated marketing and standalone campaigns
- Supporting the development and delivery of our wider strategy for influencing print and digital media debates.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Significant experience of creating and implementing successful communications campaigns that build audience engagement, particularly through digital and social channels
- Strong knowledge of the economic, political and media landscape, with experience of promoting new ideas and initiatives in this space
- A good understanding of our target audiences: central and local government decision-makers, journalists, and those working in policy in business and civil society
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with expertise in tailoring messages to a range of audiences and formats
- A high level of initiative, excellent project management skills, and the drive to ensure that plans are delivered to a high standard within tight deadlines
- A collaborative approach, with the ability to communicate effectively with non-specialists on the team
- An affinity with ECU’s aims and objectives, and our organisational values of justice, inclusivity, generosity, and collaboration.
The following qualities would be an advantage, but are not essential:
- Experience of commissioning and managing video production
- Experience of developing and delivering PR strategies, particularly working with columnists and opinion formers
- Knowledge of the economic, environmental and social justice movements.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone, regardless of their background. We believe this is crucial to ensuring the legitimacy and effectiveness of our work. We recognise that people face systemic oppression based on factors including their gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age and disability, and therefore we have a responsibility to centre anti-oppression in our work.
We acknowledge that people from a number of communities are underrepresented in our team and in the wider economic justice movement, and we’re committed to doing what we can to address this. If you believe you would bring greater diversity to our team, we’re keen to hear from you. We are open to assisting with childcare or other duties that may prevent candidates from attending an interview.
If you have any questions about the role, or if you feel you could do this role well but don’t have all the characteristics we’re looking for, please contact Anna Fielding on firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal conversation.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send us:
- Your CV (no more than 2 sides of A4)
- A cover letter of no more than 500 words outlining your fit for the role and including links to no more than three examples of your work.
Apply to: email@example.com
Apply by: 9.00 am, 6 August 2020
Due to the volume of applications we usually receive, we regret that we are unable to offer feedback to individual applicants.