Direct email applications ONLY - If you wish to be considered for this position, all documentation should be sent via EMAIL to email@example.com
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- An outline of how you would approach a new analysis project like this
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
- Where did you first hear about this opportunity?
Send these via email with “Business Analyst Application – Your Name” as the subject line by 9am Monday 20th June.
Please note we are only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK
- Salary: £38,250 – £45,000 with scope for salary progression
- Contract Type:18 months Fixed Term with potential for extension
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle / Remote
- Responsible To: Operations Director
- Application Deadline: 9am Monday 20th June
- Interview Dates: 1st Interview w/c 17th June, 2nd Interview w/c 4th July
Hatch is going through a growth spurt; there are busy and exciting times ahead with ambitious goals and big projects in the pipeline to grow the team and scale the support we offer to underrepresented founders in the next 5 years.
We’re a dynamic and flexible team, we’ve adapted to home working and online training delivery in the last 18 months and now we’re adapting again to fully flexible, hybrid working. We have done all this with our existing suite of digital and IT tools and we are feeling the strain.
One of our 5 strategic goals is to invest in Hatch’s internal systems, data and knowledge building to more efficiently and effectively manage, communicate and increase the impact of Hatch’s work.
The Business Analyst will help us manage change and plan for the future by improving our processes, and systems ensuring they are fit for purpose for our present and future needs. We are looking for someone who can help us move from a patchwork of systems, processes and tools that have served us in our early years, to a ‘one record’ approach to enable smoother user journeys for our founders, funders, volunteers and other stakeholders and enabling a data and insight-driven approach to decision making at Hatch.
We are seeking someone to work with internal stakeholders from across the organisation to understand our existing ways of working, to streamline and document improved processes and to communicate user requirements to the technical team who will be responsible for delivering on those requirements. This may include upgrading existing tools and/or bringing in new ones.
We have secured pro bono support to scope our primary needs and recommend system(s) that will best serve them. We expect their recommendations to be delivered in July and to include some top level process maps and data flows that will be the starting point for your engagement, working with the Implementation Project Manager to design and deliver this project in a way that works for you and for the team .
This role will work closely with the Implementation Project Manager to take those recommendations to the next level. You will work closely with team members to review and improve our existing ways of working, map ‘as will be’ processes within and across teams and document and communicate user and system requirements. You will be responsible for liaising with internal teams and external suppliers and have the ability to communicate detailed information to technical and non-technical stakeholders. You will partner with the Implementation Project Manager to steer the project through implementation, testing and roll out to ensure the resulting systems meet the teams needs.
We anticipate the new stack of systems and tools will support team members to manage their respective projects and activities, to have visibility of what others are working on and to be able to store, access, analyse and report on data from across functions, increasing process efficiency, data accuracy and to monitor and continually improve the work we do over time in a data-informed way. We’re excited about experimenting with systems and tools and ways of working to support the Hatch team to deliver the best outcomes for underrepresented entrepreneurs.
We expect the project to incorporate our current and future needs for a more integrated, accessible, and user friendly suite of systems and tools including but not limited to:
- Project management
- Community management
- Website / webform integration
- Data analysis and reporting
And with a view to creating future capacity to integrate:
- Accounting software
- HR software
- Grant management
- Learning management
With the ability to influence and persuade; you will bring an ability to cut through complexity to understand the needs of the team and translate these into solutions that support the team to do what they do best – deliver high quality support to entrepreneurs.
- Working across the Hatch team, mapping and evaluating operational processes, uncovering areas for efficiencies and improvements in our ways of working
- Advising on and shaping system requirements and TO BE processes, ensuring solutions are elegant, pragmatic, futureproof and compliant with all relevant regulations
- Champion new processes and ways of working with the Hatch team to get buy-in and agreement and recording these for the development phase.
- Working closely with the Implementation Project Manager and across the team to establish requirements for functions and processes of the new central CRM system and related tools, ensuring these are fit for purpose for our current usage and for future growth
- Leading requirements gathering workshops with all teams and functions
- Gathering and recording use cases, user stories and functional and non-functional systems requirements from across the team,
- Mapping user journeys, data flows, reporting output requirements and ensuring these are fit for purpose for use by external technical team
- Identifying and clearly documenting data design problems, blocks and data flows, presenting options for solutions for agreement by the Hatch team
- Documenting and communicating the teams requirements including robust options appraisals in plain English, appropriate for technical and non-technical audiences
- Using data protection by design principles to ensure all proposed new systems are GDPR compliant and future proofed for a growing organisation
- Ensure concise, high-quality process and system documentation is produced and maintained
- Working with the Implementation Project Manager to facilitate the project delivery including through sprint planning, reviews, and retrospectives, tracking and communicating team progress and maintaining rolling release plans.
- Act as an interface between the Hatch team, software suppliers and technical experts to translate and communicate requirements and resolve technical queries
- Research, collate & define requisite information in preparation for each sprint/ release and retrospective
Testing, Training & and Roll Out
- Supporting the Implementation Project Manager to ensure the project delivers sustainable and practical solutions that meet the teams documented needs including defining acceptance criteria for user stories.
- Working with the external team, support the design of test scripts for both QA and UAT testing, liaising with the testing team to ensure requirements and scenarios are well understood.
- Leading on the UAT process within the team to ensure the process is understood and the resulting systems fit for purpose before release
- Working with the Implementation Project Manager to deliver a training and roll out plan for each phased release
- Providing and explaining system and process design, data flows and associated documentation to Implementation Project Manager for translation into end user guidance and supporting the development of that guidance.
- Working closely with the Implementation Project Manager to support the prioritising, scheduling, resourcing, milestones, deliverables and roll out of new systems with minimal disruption to ongoing activities of the organisation
- Supporting the Implementation Project Manager with the selection of software providers and external technical experts
- Building strong relationships and working closely with all members of the Hatch team and ensuring buy in from across the organisation
- Building strong relationships and working closely with software suppliers and external technical experts to ensure the teams requirements are communicated clearly and understood fully and that any arising questions or technical issues are captured, communicated and addressed with the Hatch team
- Understanding of project management delivery methodologies
- Solid understanding of customer relationship management systems
- Understanding of database architecture would be desirable
- Understanding of relevant regulations such as GDPR is desirable
- Business analysis methodologies and best practice, process mapping, process review & process improvement/re-design
- Documenting User Stories, User Needs and the context of use for each feature
- Ability to understand core requirements and interpret them into the right context within the total solution
- Ability to effectively deal with changing expectations or challenges and to manage multiple priorities in a busy working environment with tight deadlines
- Proactive, innovative, self-starter, capable of working on their own and as part of a team
- Meeting management – minute and action capture and distribution to stakeholders
- Strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to both gather and convey system information to technical and non-technical team members
- A minimum of 2 years working experience as a business analyst in the context of CRM deployment, preferably in a Charity/not-for-profit setting
- Experience implementing UAT processes with a non-technical team
- Experience working with a range of digital tools and technologies
- Software project lifecycle experience, preferably under agile methodologies
- Experience working in cross-functional teams to elicit, capture, analyse, refine and document their requirements
- Experience of analysing complex business scenarios to distil and document the accompanying data flows
- Experience of identifying opportunities for enhancing business performance and insight in the context of CRM deployment/large data projects
- Experience implementing change in a fast paced environment
- An interest in entrepreneurship support for underrepresented founders would be advantageous
- An understanding of the structure and operation of charities would be advantageous
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important recently. We have an office in Elephant & Castle, which is available for anyone to work from as much or as little as they’d like. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop to get you set up. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working – work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 38 fully flexible holiday days (including the 9 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements, we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.