Backend Software Engineer (Remote)
Impala Travel Technology LimitedAnywhere in Europe9 days ago
Thanks for checking out our job description for a Backend Software Engineer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just diving straight in with words like “revolutionising” and “disrupting”.
As such, we apologise in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
All that aside though, we’re pretty proud to be listed number 2 in London’s best startups to work at in 2021; number 3 in Flexa’s most Flexible Companies to work for; listed as one of the 50 fastest-growing companies in London to accelerate your career in 2021; and featured in Sifted's Top European Startups in 2021.
By the way, the base starting salary we offer for this role is between £55k - £85k.
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
You will be a key contributor to our API and data ingestion platform, ensuring that it keeps scaling smoothly as we rapidly add more users and features. You will be given a lot of responsibility for evolving the infrastructure and picking the right tools for the job.
You will work closely with other engineers but also product and business teams to deliver a product that’s technically first-class and loved by our customers.
You should join us if you:
- Have experience working on a large-scale platform, handling large volumes of data throughput.
- Have strong experience with Node.js and good knowledge of JS fundamentals.
- Have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, as well as queuing systems.
- Are comfortable working closely with product owners and other engineers to define the best way to implement features with high technical standards.
- You share our organisational vision of democratising travel and enabling innovation across an entire industry.
- You share our passion for the highest-quality code and won’t settle for anything less.
- You thrive on excellence, autonomy and questioning conventional wisdom.
You shouldn’t join us if (we want to be as honest and transparent as we can):
- You value stability in a product and company, over change and fast-growth.
- You think lofty goals are better left to renovation builders.
What is Impala?
At Impala we’re solving an exciting, complex problem that has held back the hotel industry, if not the entire travel industry, for 20 years.
Impala is currently making the process of booking hotel rooms ridiculously easy for any innovator anywhere - to build a better world of travel for all. In short, we’re providing hotels with powerful data distribution infrastructure to unlock opportunity.
More practically, we’re making the world a better place for guests, hotels, and online travel agents of any size. Think Twilio or Plaid for Travel.
And that is very much just the beginning.
Why you should join us:
- We’re revolutionising an out-of-date 1.6 trillion dollar market. This means we’re reimagining what travel can and should look like - and you can be a part of that.
- We’re building a product of Stripe-level quality and reliability.
- We’re an innovation-bent and product-obsessed team (who don’t take ourselves too seriously).
- We’ve been remote-first since 2017 and know how to do it. We care about thinking deeply about the workplace.
- We’ve always optimised for quality over quantity when expanding our team. We have Star teams full of Star players across the board.
- We’re supported by some of the most respected investors in the business, the early-stage backers behind Deliveroo, SecretEscapes, Trivago, Transferwise, and Airbnb.
- We offer lofty progression opportunities for all Impalans.
- Our Async work environment offers more flexibility, less pressure, and a better work-life balance.
- We’re clear on our mission to enable innovators to build the world's most incredible travel experiences.
Where will you work?
We are a remote-first and asynchronous company. This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance and accommodating the best people in Europe, whilst also fostering diversity.
We employ anyone within +/- 2h from GMT, timezone wise for now (expanding globally in the future).
You can check out everything we offer to set up your perfect remote work environment here.
And if Relocation excites you - we offer (and encourage!) that opportunity too.
We also have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, whose role is, amongst other things, to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and feel empowered whilst working remotely.
What about the Covid-shaped elephant in the room?
Covid-19 has forced almost every industry in the world to adjust in 2020, and none more so than the travel industry. It is however, an exciting time to be in Travel Tech, with endless opportunities opened up for innovation, that will help jump start the travel industry. Hotels and innovators are no longer satisfied with the status quo.
Backed by some of Europe’s leading investors, we’re on the cusp of launching a product that will connect people and travel once again.
Apply if you want to bring your innovation bent and product-obsession to help change the game in travel.
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.