Associate Software Engineer
AcademyUnited Kingdom2 months ago
Associate Software Engineer
Academy is looking for new and emerging software engineers to learn, grow and build with us as we accelerate a new generation of leaders in technology. This role will have a structured progression pathway to a role such as a Faculty Software Engineer - we're looking to invest in your development.
Location: UK - Academy is HQ'd in Manchester but we're open to remote working
We're a rapidly growing startup, so no two days are the same - but here are some things we think you might be doing:
Engineering, Product and Programme (~70%)
We're building a best-in-class learning experience - you'll work with experienced software engineers on our curriculum and product.
- Working through our curriculum materials to develop your own skills and give us critical feedback on how we can improve it for our Scholars
- Hosting office-hours or mentoring for Scholars who are working through parts of our course that you feel comfortable in (with scope to learn more)
- Building full-stack projects and demos that enable us to deliver our programme at scale to a diverse range of Scholars
Community, Talent and Operations (~30%)
We're identifying and accelerating incredible talent from diverse backgrounds - you'll help us make this community world-leading.
- Talking to prospective Scholars to explain Academy's mission and check if they are a good fit for our programme
- Evaluating tech tests from applicants to our programme (small projects in the children's block programming language Scratch - you can get support on this if needed)
- Coordinating community events like hackathons to bring together Scholars across all of our cohorts and programmes
We know that diversity brings real team benefits, so we’re open to a range of backgrounds and experiences. Explicitly, we do not require any particular degree nor experience in an engineering team.
- You have done some initial exploring, training or projects in programming - possibly self-taught, through a course or as part of a bootcamp
- You want to find an environment where you can be supported to develop these skills further
- You’re passionate about increasing diversity, inclusion and equity in tech
Please note we are unable to provide sponsorship at this time.
We use a full-stack TypeScript curriculum (React, Express, PostgreSQL) but don't be put off by this - it's not a laundry list of wants. We're really interested in looking at your potential.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe that, by bringing some seriously talented people together, we can change the future of tech for the better. We encourage applications from all - including (but not limited to) those who are underrepresented in tech through gender, ethnicity or sexuality.
Academy’s vision is to become a global hub for high-potential early career talent, fast-growing technology companies, and world-class leadership development.